According to the Turkish Citizenship Law No. 5901, there are two ways for foreigners who live in Turkey to acquire Turkish citizenship:
- Turkish citizenship by birth can be automatically acquired based on descent or place of birth. Citizenship acquired by birth shall be effective from the moment of birth.
- Turkish citizenship shall be acquired after birth either by the competent authority's decision or by adoption or using the right to choose.
The most common ways to become a Turkish citizen are; either to have been resident in Turkey without interruption for five (5) years preceding the date of his/her application or to have been married to a Turkish citizen for at least three (3) years and whose marriage continues.
Nevertheless, along with the Regulation's publication on the Amendments to the Regulation on the Implementation of the Turkish Citizenship Law, foreigners may acquire Turkish citizenship without fulfilling any time or residence requirements.
Foreigners who meet the following requirements shall be able to apply for Turkish citizenship:
- Making a fixed capital investment in the amount of minimum USD 500,000.00 and determination of such investment by the Ministry of Economy,
- Purchase of property on the value of minimum USD 250,000.00 and to annotate the Title Deed Registry that the property will not be sold in the following three (3) years and determination of such purchase and annotation by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanism,
- Employment of at least fifty (50) employees and determination of such employment by the Ministry of Labor and Social Services,
- Depositing a minimum of USD 500,000.00 in banks operating in Turkey and holding it in the banks for the following three (3) years and determining such deposit by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency. It is stipulated that the Central Bank of Turkey's effective selling rate as of the determination date shall be taken based on the determination of the monetary value stated hereinabove.
Please contact us for detailed information and legal support services.